“What do you use to clean hardwood floors?”
That is one of the most common questions we hear from our new clients. And it is a great question! We have some great answers too. Here are two great methods we use to clean hardwood floors in our clients’ homes.
No matter what kind of floors you have in your home, your flooring is one of your home’s largest investments. It is also something everyone in your home will see, and one of the first things people notice in your home. (It is also very noticeable when it has not been cleaned!) Hardwood floors are back in fashion and becoming more popular as people renovate and replace flooring. Of course some older homes have existing hardwood that might have been revealed below carpet and refinished. Knowing that information impacts the choices we make about cleaning methods that best suit your hardwood floor.
If hardwood floors are in good, like-new condition:
Our preferred product for cleaning hardwood flooring is Bona hardwood floor cleaner. Here are some reasons we love it:
- Bona is a family owned company about to celebrate 100 years in business! Their headquarters are in Sweden, but their products can be found in over 70 countries.
- Bona is serious about sustainability and their company’s impact on the environment. They are also certified as asthma and allergy friendly and guaranteed safe for your family and pets.
- Bona is even used on NBA and NCAA basketball courts for a no-slip shine.
- But, besides all those accolades, Bona floor cleaner is also easy to use and great for your wood floors. It dries quickly and does not leave any residue behind.
Bona is our go-to cleaner for new hardwood floors. New floors that have not seen a lot of grime or traffic benefit from the soft microfiber Bona mop and the spray on formula that prevents the wood from getting too much moisture. For hardwood flooring in good condition, the best treatment is to spot clean spills and messes when they occur, keep them vacuumed often to decrease scratches from dirt and debris, and use a dry mop system like Bona.
If you have laminate flooring, Bona makes a great product for those floors also. It is a spray and dry mop process just like the hardwood floor cleaner, but specially formulated for laminate. With laminate flooring it is crucial to keep the surface dry and free from moisture, so the Bona dry-mop system is a great fit for a residue free shine.
If hardwood floors have lived a little, or need more of a deep cleaning:
For hardwood floors that need a little more than a dust and shine, we like to use Murphy’s Oil Soap.
- Murphy’s is no longer privately owned, but it has been used by generations of cleaners for over 100 years.
- Murphy’s is another great “green” product you can feel safe using around your family and pets. Murphy’s Oil Soap is 98% plant derived ingredients.
- Murphy’s is heavily diluted in a bucket of warm water and can be applied with a soft, well wrung wet mop.
While moisture is not ideal for hardwood flooring, sometimes your floors need a deeper clean. Realistically, when you clean new or newly refinished hardwood floors you are “cleaning” the polyurethane coating on the wood. On older floors where that protection has worn down, the wood is more exposed. That’s where Murphy’s is a great go-to cleaner. Murphy’s is the best at cleaning and conditioning wood. It also is great for washing wood furniture and cabinetry. A little Murphy’s and warm water on a soft microfiber rag is fantastic at cleaning and shining your kitchen cabinet faces. We love that Murphy’s Oil Soap is made of natural ingredients and is tried and true for generations for cleaning wood. It also has a very light, fresh scent that makes your whole home smell fresh and clean.
Both of these popular products can be found at most local retailers who sell cleaning products. But what could be easier than having them arrive at your door from Amazon? Of course, the easiest way to get your hardwood floors cleaned would be for the Dust Bunnies team to arrive at your door!